Events Volunteer - Walk It Birmingham
Thank you so much for showing an interest in volunteering with Crohn’s and Colitis UK at a WALK IT event; by volunteering with us you’ll be vital to making the events a great success. This on-the-day role will include some of the tasks mentioned below, depending upon your role allocation.
Welcome Team Responsibilities:
- Meet and greet all walkers at the entrance to the event village.
- Provide information to walkers regarding the event & route(s).
Registration Desk Responsibilities:
- To register those attendees who turn up on the day and wish to participate.
- To check-in those who have registered in the last 2 weeks before the event date.
- Provide necessary information to walkers regarding the event & route(s).
Start/Finish Line Responsibilities:
- To assemble and coordinate walkers at the beginning of each wave.
- Help event management team with the safety of walkers and pedestrians at the start
- Greet walkers as they finish - congratulate them and give each walker a medal and free bottled water.
Route Marshall Responsibilities:
- Most importantly - to clap, wave, cheer and generally encourage our walkers as they pass by.
- Ensure route pathways are kept clear and that impact to passers-by and the general public is minimised.
- Direct walkers, answer questions and ensure they are clear as to how to reach the next marshal point.
- Act as the “eyes and ears” of the Event Manager along with the route, and alert them promptly by calling the Emergency Phone Number in the event of any accident/incident affecting walkers or volunteers.
What's required from you?
- Available on the day of the event from 9 am to 3 pm
- Physically mobile and ‘on your feet’ at certain points throughout the day
- Be enthusiastic, friendly, creative, flexible, fun and willing to get stuck in!
- Communication, Interpersonal, Listening, Teamwork and Problem-Solving Skills
Why get involved?
- A fun, community-spirited day out supporting a fantastic event and cause
- A chance to gain volunteering/events experience, do something new and boost your CV
- The opportunity to meet new people in your community in a sociable setting
- Clear advanced briefing and on-the-day training relevant to your role
- Refreshments – a snack pack along with tea, coffee and water
- Travel expenses up to £20 will be reimbursed after the event (receipts required)
- A free t-shirt!