Volunteer Befrienders Needed - Adavu
MODERN SLAVERY IN OUR COMMUNITIES
Slavery and Exploitation still takes place in towns, cities and rural communities in the West Midlands. Men, women and children can be trafficked for sexual exploitation, forced labour, domestic servitude, and other forms of slavery.
Adavu is a Birmingham based project (part of the Birmingham Methodist District), which offers long term support to adult survivors of modern slavery who are making the transition into life in a local community.
Adavu is a Birmingham based project (Birmingham Methodist District), which offers long term support to adult survivors of modern slavery who are making the transition into life in a local community.
Could you offer support and practical help to our clients? Befrienders should be reliable, approachable and have good interpersonal skills.
Being a Volunteer Befriender for Adavu might involve:
- Accompanying clients to specific appointments, e.g., to register with a new GP.
- Assisting the client with practical tasks; e.g., finding local shops
- Advocacy work; e.g. a phone call on behalf of the client if a housing repair issue arises.
- Social support; friendship and social opportunities, e.g. a visit to a local park, or cultural event
- Are you available for one morning or afternoon a week?
- Do you have use of a car; or are you confident in using public transport? All travel expenses will be reimbursed.
- All potential volunteers will be required to undergo a criminal record (DBS) check.